View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 01:53 AM   #10
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I think I always knew about reading online from day one. That would have been in the 1980s, way before the Internet. I did lots of reading on my Timex-Sinclair what, Z80? and the 2048 color Sinclair that followed it. I read on the Adam Coleco as well. But it wasn't till I got a job where there was a 4.77 mHz pc with whatever was one step up from monochrome that I started doing a lot of reading.

Now I read on my old Dell Latitude -- I love Project Gutenberg and have read lots of Henry James, for example. I am now on Jane Austen. Dickens is another favorite, of course.

A lot of my mobile reading is really mobile listening. I think that the "natural" way would be for a book to scroll by on the screen, synchronized to a voice reading. So I've spent a lot of time with the voices from nextup.com which allow any text to be converted into voice and you can read and listen simultaneously, which I think is the ultimate. But in the future I think many, many books will be released on one package, as an ebook and an audiobook at the same time.

By the way, readers -- have you checked out wowio.com? There are lots of contemporary books there available for free for reading online. Or, you can buy a .pdf if you really must have them on your computer.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote