Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #1009
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
And patching that part of the logic should be comparatively easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Aw - a translation:

JBpatch == Java Bytecode patch

ixtab's utility here actually changes the executable code (and/or code path).
I heard the word "should be comparatively easy" before. And right now I am shaking my head at Amazon.

Some more invaluable insights (don't want too make it to easy, right?):

It worked for a few pages with the top beeing also at 15 , and it went back to bigger margins . Did not even like that I had it on smallest margins, and switched itself to medium margins. First thought - oh yeah, you just outsmart the beast. Changed ALL of them to 15 including the pdf ones just for giggles. Well, then it insists to go back to the 40 on the top margin. It must have done that thing before and automatically selected medium margin because it was closest to the 40. Now (that all margins are same) it stays on smallest margin once it decides to mess up.

Next step: make the top margin and offset both 0. Nope. It changes back to default. It even changed my increased lower margin to default (wanted to see if that had any influence on the logic). No destroyed that by lowering back to default. (edit: correction, the bottom margin seems to be unaffected, but the footer size got smaller right away)

- make sure that top margin + top margin offset == 52. NOPE

- top margin == 15, top margin offset == 12 (so it is default). NOPE

It gets changed in this order: If the Footer is set to at least 60 (59 does not work) the PW will display the full information including the page numbers time left in book, location, time left in chapter while reading - wow cool I wanted to have the page displayed. NICE, well until it gets "fixed" more sooner than later. Seems to only work if footer AND bottom margin are excactly 60. Footer 60, Margin 65 no work. Anyway, this gets destroyed as soon as you open the menu and go back, or in the very least menu, aA and then go back. The top margin gets changed back to something like 40 at least on the next page change. Sometimes the left and right change at same time, sometimes it takes one more page advance for them to follow suit. The logic is beyond me. And it is apparently not simply depending on the top margin. The bottom margin gets changed too, independend from the top.

Theories? Sure:
1) Kindle defaults to defaults after changing enough pages

2) Kindle defaults to defaults even faster when opening a menu, especially when needing to set the margin after a framework restart

3) Whenever the Kindle changes margins, and goes back to where you been, it pisses around.

1 + 2 + 3 = 6

6) The Kindle has a BACKUP setting for all margins that it checks for default (ranges). Similar to my findings about the light. (yes you can change it by hand, but it still remembers where it should be.

4) and 5) Amazon did not get their cookies today, no love at all from them

For now I put the margins all back to standard. More headaches for you ixtab, if it is worth it.

Short answer: even if it all depends on top margin, that one gets changed as well. Hopefully if you can patch that logic, all else works as well. (wishful thinking on my part)

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-02-2013 at 12:46 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote