View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Audio isn't the answer. Often, it doesn't work well - or at all. It relies on the user having speakers attached and switched on (not an issue with laptops and tablets, but often a problem for desktop machines). It might be difficult to hear the audio in a noisy environment. And it could be inappropriate in a quiet environment.

I am neither blind nor visually impaired, but I hate Captcha as much as anyone - although I admit I don't know what a good alternative would be.

Mike
I would expect that most people using screen readers and such would probably have speakers on and attached.

What about math solutions, or asking for the 4th (or nth) word in the article? Or various other options. (When I had a personal blog, it asked for "four plus seven" to be entered as a number in order to post a comment. I wouldn't go as far as asking for the 8th digit of pi, but asking for the ones digit when multiplying 3 times 9 shouldn't be a problem, right? Or, you could have one that lists a shape, then asks how many sides are on the shape.

Another good one, could be to ask the user to answer a question from the post they are replying to. That could be pretty useful, since a spammer would have to actually read the post before replying.....
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote