View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Crucis
Crucis began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Epic/Galaxy
Cool Cruz Tablet Firmware Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethann View Post
Try Cruz out in Borders store. I did and the touch screen sucks so I would not buy one until they fix it.
Velocity has a firmware upgrade for their tablet. It reportedly includes the ability to "adjust/calibrate" the sensitivity of the screen. I have it but haven't yet updated my Cruz Tablet yet.

Getting back to the poll...
I bought the Cruz Tablet from Borders. Before I chose that, I went to both and had some hands-on experience before I laid out any $$.
My impressions:
The Color Nook is thinner and overall, perhaps better hardware. It appears to have an abbreviated version of the Android O/S. As I played with it a customer brought his back. He said he was experienced IT tech. He tried to add some apps, FBreader and Aldiko, IIRC, and neither would install properly. He had a list of complaints about what the Nook lacked from an Android perspective. From what I heard, he didn't want to be chained to the Nook ereader app but hadn't found an alternative that would work.

The Cruz Tablet is heavier, more bulky than the color Nook. Both appeared to have the same capacitive screen sensitivity. The Cruz came with more installed apps than the Nook although Velocity appears to have some licensing conflicts with Google.

For a number of reasons, I bought the Cruz Tablet @ $249.95 online. When I opened the box, I was surprised to find two Borders gift cards totalling $55. A nice surprise.

I've had my Cruz Tablet for a week. Yes, there are some things I don't like. There are some things I do like: Aldiko and Moon+ Reader both work just fine---FBReader doesn't and that is noted on the Cruz support site.

The Tablet comes with Cruz Market. In that market is an app for another Market that is much larger. True, access to the expected Android Market is absent but I found a number of alternate sites that are available.

Bottom line: Both tablets, the Cruz and the Nook, appear to have a limited version of the Android O/S. The Nook appears to be, to me at least, more constrained that the Cruz. The Nook appears to be more tightly locked to B&N, the Cruz is not so tightly linked to Borders. In fact most of my ebooks (and I have a lot!) are from Baen and Manybooks. I don't HAVE to buy my ebooks from Borders. (At least not until I used up the gift cards. )

Just my $0.02.
Crucis is offline   Reply With Quote