Thread: GPL violation?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #69
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
While I, of course, would never suggest that Bookeen should go out of business just because they are selling a device which includes a violation of the GPL I still have to wonder how easy companies get away with copyright infringements - even in the eyes of people on the forum here.

If I buy a Windows CD (including packaging and hologram, mind you) on a street market and because those friendly, chinese-looking people are selling it so cheap that I decide to buy one for my friends and family, too, I highly doubt that the police, Microsoft or anyone else would suggest that I can go on selling those CDs to my friends while asking back to those street vendors whether they were sure that those CDs were really legal. And if, in the end, it turns out they were not legal I equally doubt that I could just point my finger at them and claim I did it all "in good faith". In most countries the law clearly states that if there's something "fishy" about the deal (and that extends to "it's just too cheap to be true") you can't claim "good faith" and the rules for companies are much more strict than for end-users.

And about the responsibility: If I build a house for someone and leave the actual work to sub-contractors I am still fully responsible for everything. If I am sued I can then sue my sub-contractor in turn but I will always be the first party responsible.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote