Thread: GPL violation?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #124
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
They signed an NDA and still they started to sell the unit. They should not have signed the NDA since it is not allowed to have NDA for the Linux source. They should not have built a unit they cannot sell without copyright infringement. They knew about this well in advance so this was not something new for Bookeen.

What should a pirate do? Should he really stop distributing copyrighted material?
First of all, we're presuming they'd signed an NDA with their supplier, be it Netronix or whoever.

Second, I'm of the opinion that if it is Netronix, the NDA probably covered just the proprietary stuff as Netronix has made it clear that the Linux OS source is freely available code. I'm thinking, although I have no proof as I can't afford one of the "developer's packages", that except for possibly the low-level drivers they developed for their EB-100 hardware, the version of Linux is whichever actual embedded version that is currently available for the processor used inside. It's a Samsung, I believe. Shouldn't be too hard to track down which version of Linux has been ported over to that processor.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote