View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfp
10. What is the little question button in the window frame in the categories dialog? When clicked, it simply shows a forbidden sign whichever control you hover.

Getting a little snarky now aren't you? When I found it I laughed out loud. This is obviously a not yet implemented help button. Asking this question is not a suggestion, it's just petty.

In what way is this snarky? It seems to be a reasonable question to me. If I clicked a seemingly clickable button and received the forbidden sign, I'd be also be curious. Please keep in mind what seems obvious to you may not be so to a new user (especially if computer challenged like me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfp
12. I find the "save search" button quite confusing, I though a floppy was the default for the save action...

What's a floppy? How does this floppy relate to searches?

A floppy is what I do after getting home from a long trip. All seriousness aside, this is the "what is the appropriate icon" issue going on in a couple of other threads. Granted, the 3 1/2" floppy has gone the way of the nickel phone call, but since the old 3 1/2" "floppy" (even the name "floppy" is a carryover from the old 8 1/4" disks that actually were floppy) has been used in Windows to indicate a save to disk function for umpteen years, it's natural for Windows users to continue to make that association in programs other than Microsnot's. The problem here is using a floppy icon to indicate saved searches could be confused with the save function elsewhere (such as the save to disk at the top of the screen) unless it is somehow contained to the search function (mayhap contain all of the search functions in a box instead of merely in a line only). I feel that the question is valid but also feel it is a cosmetic issue that can keep until Kovid is satisfied that calibre has reached its final form (which means I probably won't live to see it I am an old lady, you know).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote