View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
I do not have an SD card, and I definitely get "freezes," if by that you mean what I mean, which is that out of the blue, while turning pages, it goes out of the book completely and back to Start ("Bookland"). Sorry for my stupidity, but I don't even know where to look for the firmware identification. In Settings > Configuration > About Device it says:
Model PB 101, EB-500, Software version D101.14.2...so I guess that means I am running 14.2 and that I have a hardware issue. Damn, I guess I have to send the thing back.
Okay, one last try.

A "Freeze" is when the hardware locks up and stops responding. It requires a press of the reset button to reboot and get back to the Top Menu.

What you are experiencing is a "crash" where the reading application encounters a fault and shuts down but the firmware is still running properly and you can re-open the book without a reboot.

The former is only caused by firmware bugs or faulty hardware. There is no other way to kill a robust OS.

The latter can be caused by either an application bug or by a bad data file.

All the suggestions we've provided relate to possible causes for the OS to crash.

But if it is the application that is crashing, other options exist:

- Installed Fonts.
- A corrupt reader app file
- A bad ebook file.

You say you are reading books you are converting with Calibre...
Try an epub book or two that *isn't*.

Try something from the Mobileread ebooks section or a Baen Free Library ebook (those work beautifully for me) or maybe from Munseys.com or some other place. A "known good" file. From the BAEN library, I know Eric Flint's 1632 is a good file that displays beautifully on my PB360 in both Adobeviewer and FBreader. If a clean PB360 crashes reading that file (and its a free download) then you definitely have sick hardware. (And really bad luck.)

Hopefully it'll turn out to be an odd Calibre setting (font-embedding or something).

Another thought: if you have access to a data card, move the test file in via test card, *not* via USB.
Just a wild hunch. Probably meaningless.
(What is your PC setup? Windows? Mac? Linux?)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote