View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Do you have zoom and scroll? Or do you read in landscape (then just scroll, I suppose)?

I also subscribe to SCIAM, but found it the fonts a bit too small on the Kindle DX (9.7" screen, same size as the iPad).
Yes, iPad has both and work very fast. The concept is the same as in photos. You can zoom with two fingers "increasing" or "decreasing" the space between them and the effect is immediate.

Turn page is a little more slow but only the time you flick your eyes.

However, at least with SCIAM sometimes you need to change the zoom because a line has corrupted and shows the letters unordered (like an anagram).

I read SCIAM panning and zooming. I'm moving top to bottom in colums with my finger, and when I reach end of column I only "launch" the pdf to top next column (with a little practice you can get the perfect effect).

The most near similar way of read is to read microfilmed newspapers that you need to move around the newspaper microfilm over the lens, but better.

I used to read SCIAM (and Circuit Cellar and other technical PDFs) with my DR1000 or my DX (depends of the PDF, some can be read better in one and some in the other) until I got the iPad. Now my DX has been lend to my sister and my DR1000 is sleeping the sleep of the righteous (I only charge it once two weeks to maintain the battery).

Upgrade: I forgot to say that after being reading color magazines in BW e-ink screens, get it in full color is a very impressive impact.

Last edited by rfog; 04-27-2010 at 04:14 AM.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote