View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Android: simple non-online reader with proper paragraphing

I've dug out and old supercheap tablet (Eken M009 dualtouch) I bought some time ago but never really used because it was too mind-numbingly slow to do much of anything. But I got the idea that it'd be good as an e-reader that I won't cry if I break (as opposed to my current tablet).

So I went looking for e-reading apps and tried several, but many (Google Books, Blio, Book Place) obsess about cloud features and markets and such, all of which I care for not one whit. Worse, they won't let me use them if I don't first configure them with their online service; because the tablet in question has a faulty wifi module and won't connect to a wifi link (I sideload everything by downloading the APKs from the Google store and using the microSD card), this makes them entirely useless to me.

I also want something with a filesystem interface, because I order my files by directories/folders and have no need for a library that'll take ages to be imported and misname a whole lot of books (I'm looking at you, Aldiko).

I found Coolreader, which is everything I want... except for one extremely annoying problem, neatly exemplified by this picture (ignore the weird color on the tablet - it's actually white with a low backlight, not sure why my DSLR thinks it's green). As you can see the paragraphs are not separated from each other as they should be; I really dislike that, as I find the separation necessary to concentrate - walls of text tend to annoy me very quickly.

I need something similar to Coolreader that'll do paragraphs properly. Or a way to configure Coolreader to do so, but I haven't been able to find one yet and I've perused the options menu extensively.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Fallingwater; 05-22-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote