View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
mcortez
mcortez began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Using bookmarks for input/feedback

I've been toying with the idea of using Bookmarks as a way of recording input on the Reader, then using that input to do something meaningful the next time I hook the Reader back up to my computer.

Here's an example scenario, that I've got partially implemented now:
1. Theres a website of short stories that I read from occasionally. Nearly all the writers are amateur writers. There writing skills very widely.

2. I've written a program that goes to the website and pulls one or more random stories, writes them out as HTML. During this process I add a set of extra pages to the end of the book.

* A Ratings ToC/Link page that links to 3 other pages.
* Each of the linked to pages basically contains only a single title, of either "Rating: Good", "Rating: Average", "Rating: Terrible"

3. The program notes on my desktop which stories I've downloaded, as well as who the author was.

4. The program then spawns HTML2LRF converting the book and copying it to the reader.

5. The program opens the media.xml file on the reader, adds a book (xs1:text) entry, and updates a Collection I have on the reader for stories from this site.

6. I use the reader as usual, however whenever I finish reading one of the short stories, I'll be on the "Ratings" link page. I follow the link to the page which represents the rating I want to give the story. I bookmark that page.

7. The next time I sync up my reader, my program reads back in the media.xml file, looks to see if I've bookmarked any of the ratings pages. If I have, it notes the rating. If I've marked a story as terrible, it does not download stories from that author again. If I've marked a story as Good, then it makes a note to download more stories from that author.

This is just one scenario that could make use of additional "bookmark input pages."

Would anyone else be interested in some kind of generic utility that facilitates this type of input on the Reader?
mcortez is offline   Reply With Quote