View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
"Possible" - yes - but I strongly doubt it will happen. It's very deeply entwined with the other modules. Plus, most of those who are concerned with the current storage system want to directly access the library, and that can interfere with Calibre's use of its database.
In my own past programming experience, reworks of making abstraction layer between clearly defined resource such as boks storage and the rest of the application always made the application easier to maintain and more robust, so I'd tend to see a view of such interactions being too intertwined to change them as a surrender of the program to the mess. It's probably only my own approach to programming...

Quote:
If Kovid makes it easier to access the library directly, there are then going to be complaints when Calibre suddenly, and without warning, changes the filename of an ebook or the directory name in what the user will think of as "the user's library."
Not if the default plugin would be the one with the same functionality the current calibre has, or the plugin hiding all books inside private filesystem of SQLite database. To change that functionality, users would need to switch the plugin somewhere deep in Preferences, the way paved by texts of "make sure you know what's you're doing" and "dangerous" variety.

Quote:
I suspect it's more likely that Kovid will make it harder to access Calibre's library directly instead of easier. Originally, the books in Calibre's library were entirely inaccessible - they were inside the database with the metadata - and I imagine Kovid occasionally regrets making access easier.
I feel that by making storage means a choice calibre would benefit in the end. Surely, initially there would be more bugs detected, some code reworks done, but in the end the codebase would be more stable as a result.

That's assumming Kovid still likes to develop and manage calibre - if he's getting weary of it, and thinks often of the time when he could finish all the goals for calibre he set for himself, and switch to something more interesting, that would be one more unneccessary complication, and my arguments don't apply. I have some projects like that...
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote