View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
GrzegorzN
GrzegorzN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrustyw View Post
I've submitted a bug report to the Calibre guys asking them to change this to retain the original file name - but they flat refused the request. They don't have any interest in making it easy for you to get your books back out of Calibre in a useful format.
I think that's what "Save to disk" is for (and it allows you to specify the on-disk data structure and filenames of the exported books). The library format itself is best considered internal. If you want to get data out of the library, use Calibre's export functions. If they don't work properly, then that's a bug or a feature request (and I'm sure the developers will be willing to fix / improve it).

Filling in missing metadata can be annoying, but Calibre does a pretty good job of helping you along the way, and it's usually a good idea to have correct metadata attached to your books anyway.

And although it would probably be possible to change Calibre to retain the original file name at the moment, it could cause problems when the authors decide that the library/database format must change to support some funky new features.
GrzegorzN is offline   Reply With Quote