View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's just huffman coding, a public domain algorithm, with a few implementation winkles. Frankly, I don't see any difference between "a mathematical description" and a "source code description" since both use a language to describe an algorithm.
The python code is based on copyrighted code that has probably been accessed in a way that somebody can have legal opinions about. If I just copy the Python code it I am not sure it can be GPL:ed. And I am very unsure if the GPL notice in the Python code is correct.

A mathematical description from which I do an implementation were I do not look at existsing copyrighted code is definitely unproblematic.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote