View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Effect of Amazon's buying Audible?

I have been looking at what could happen now that Amazon owns Audible.

First it puts Apple in a funny position. Suddenly they are paying a competitor for iWhateverDevice content. Apple currently sells Audible content on iTunes.

Next Amazon is going to want to leverage that Audible content fast, as in yesterday kinda fast. I see the logical next evolution of the Kindle into a device for eBooks as well as audio Audible format books. Perhaps even something to read to you are you read the pages.

So, perhaps, and this is just some HUGE WAG...maybe there is something afoot between Amazon & Apple to meld the iTouch and the Kindle...maybe that annual rumor of a "new" Newton will see some life as an iKindle.

This is Amazon sells MP3 & video content in direct competition with Apple and that makes it look to me as if it could be a very complicated arrangement.

But if Apple drops Audible content then iWhateverDevice users are not going to be at all pleased. If Apple keeps offering Audible content then Apple is paying Amazon to compete with them for customer dollars.

Plus I am sure no small amount of Audible's revenue comes from sales via iTunes. Though likely not near as much as via their subscriptions. But I bet the iTunes Store sells more Audible content then Amazon did/does. So, Amazon is in a weird position too...Amazon's "hole-card" would be, as far as MP3 style audiobook content, Audible is the only real game in town. So, customers will follow the content to wherever they can buy it...I would think.

Anyone else wonder about what this means to the whole mess of eBooks, audiobooks and whatnot?

BTW, my reason for posting this here is I would think this deal almost dictates the next gen Kindle must also support Audible books...and sooner rather then later.

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-09-2008 at 01:10 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote