View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
lindsayw
Author from pBook days
lindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watchlindsayw is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle-3-Keyboard; 8" Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
...is to use Sigil to make an epub first...
Thanks, Jeremy, you echo what Donna posted before and, since I'm new at this, I'd better take stock and investigate downloading Sigil ... at least the contents.opf and toc.ncx files I have now made might be recognized by Sigil – Calibre just ignores them, but it seems to do a good enough job converting from other formats. I might have one crack at getting Calibre to make an ePub first, then convert that to MOBI, to try and force it to accept the extra files.

I wish the Kindle could read ePubs but I guess that Amazon has its own proprietary reasons not to support anything but their own format, no matter how miopic a view that may seem to external punters like us, and MOBI is the right format to go there.

Thanks everyone, for helping me out here and, with any luck, Amazon might be persuaded that a firmware upgrade for the Kindle is needed. Perhaps not for ePub support, but possibly for opening un-read books on the cover page, it surely wouldn't hurt their market position to fall into line there.

...ONE HOUR LATER: OK, that works. Set Calibre by default to make an ePub during all the file importing phase, then go in and edit all the details, page layout, metadata, etc... then convert all that to MOBI. Something is still not quite right, though, I am getting a proper TOC on the Kindle but the progress bar doesn't have any NavPoint "ticks". That will probably be some typo or omission in the toc.ncx file, since they are clearly marked up there. Another Kindle-ism, I fear.

Last edited by lindsayw; 03-08-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: adding postscript
lindsayw is offline   Reply With Quote