View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Another Black Mask /vintage pulp freebie today:

Never Say No to a Killer, by Clifton Adams (originally published as by Jonathon Gant)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF2ABQK
Adams wrote in both Western and Mystery genres, and has been recommended by member BelleZora for his Western novels in an earlier thread:
(Hope you don't mind me referencing that, BelleZora, but that post first made me aware of Clifton Adams!)
There was some discussion of formatting issues with the last Black Mask freebie-- I haven't looked at this one, but if it has similar problems, there is a version on the MR library.

Quote:
THE ROCK WAS about the size of a man's head. A beautiful rock, about twenty pounds of it, and somehow I had to get over to it. The minute I saw it I knew that rock was just the thing I needed. This is going to take some doing, I thought, but I have to get my hands on that rock. Gorgan yelled, "Get the lead out, Surratt! This ain't no goddamn picnic!" Gorgan was one of the prison guards, a red-faced, hairy-armed anthropoid, sadist by instinct, moron by breeding. His lips curled in a grin and he lifted his Winchester 30-30 and pointed it straight at my chest. There was nothing in the world he would like better than an excuse to kill me. He had had his eye on me for a long time. You sonofabitch, I thought, if you knew what was good for you, you would pull that trigger right now, because five minutes from now it's going to be too late!

Author Paul Levine's To Speak for the Dead is free again (last free in April 2012).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SHDUD6
This is from the first book from his Lassiter series, a more traditional lawyer-who-acts-like-a-PI series than the Solomon & Lord series also featured as a recent freebie. I think Levine does this style better than most.

Quote:
A doctor in love with his patient's wife...
A fatal mistake during surgery...
Accident? Malpractice? Or murder?

Defending a surgeon in a malpractice case, Jake Lassiter begins to suspect that his client is innocent of negligence...but guilty of murder. Add a sexy widow, a deadly drug, and a grave robbery to the stew, and you have the recipe for Miami's trial of the century.

"To Speak for the Dead" introduced the world to Jake Lassiter, the linebacker-turned-lawyer with a hard bark and a tender heart. An international bestseller, Paul Levine's debut novel was named by the Los Angeles Times as one of the best mysteries of the year.
KentE