Thread: Book rentals
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
I've been a Netflix customer for a decade. For a year now I've subscribed to music rental services (currently Rdio) where I pay $9.99 and I can download all the music I want to my smartphone, or stream it. It's terrific. No, I don't "own" the music. But since I have no intention of canceling such a wondrous service, it's a moot point.

If such a service popped up for ebooks, for a decent monthly price, with the majority of publishers on board, and access to all the bestsellers/ new releases if not the day of release than within a month or two - I'd be first in line.
The problem is that, whereas many people listen to a lot of music - many songs every day - very few people read as much as a single book in a month, and if the change was, say, $10 a month, it would be as cheap for most people to simply buy a book. I don't think the market exists to make such a service economically viable, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote