View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #96
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2011/03/18/bionic-debate.html

A rebuttal from March this year. Check the resume if you don't know whether to believe the arguments.
Who says: "In short, the question is: Does Bionic (the Android/Linux default C library developed by Google) violate the GPL by importing “scrubbed” headers from Linux? For those of you seeking TL;DR version: You can stop now if you expect me to answer this question; I'm not going to."

Hardly a ringing endorsement.

GPL v2 section 2.b:You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

A scrubbed header is surely a derived work of the original? And the original header is a part of the Program.

And again, my point was not whether this does or doesn't violate the GPL, it was that if Apple had done it rather than Google, it would not have been handled the same way.

From the article: "Thus, I'd guess that even if it turned out that Google made some mistakes in this regard for Bionic, we'd all work together to rectify those mistakes so that the outcome everyone intended could occur."

I don't think the same attitude would be taken were it not Google.

(Edit: List of Android tablets with whether they are GPL compliant or not (excluding this issue): http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/android_tablets/)

Last edited by murraypaul; 08-16-2011 at 10:41 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote