View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
That's not true for all countries, Harry. Here in the Netherlands, I can download books that are not in the public domain here without breaking any law.
To put Harry's words another way, the jurisdiction you're in when you download the book is the law which applies. Whether it be copyright law or a law about downloading. (An exception might be for diplomats. I don't think so, but it might. Embassies and consulates have extra-territoriality so, if you're in one of them when you download you're technically in that country. But even a diplomat outside his embassy is 'subject' to the host country's laws-the only thing diplomatic immunity does is limit the penalties the host country can apply. That is, they can either kick the diplomat out or ignore the crime. And that's about it, unless the diplomat's country allows the host country to prosecute, i.e. waives diplomatic immunity for the crime.)

If you're correct then I suspect that Netherland's download law says that the laws of the jurisdiction from which you're downloading will apply-at least regarding copyright. But that doesn't change the fact that you're still subject to Netherland's law if you're downloading while in the Netherlands.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote