View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Do international wireless fees apply to samples?

Are international Kindlers getting charged the $1.99 fee for wireless transfer of ebook samples?

I assumed they came free since I hadn't seen fees for samples mentioned anywhere. Then I noticed the "How sampling works" link under the "Send Sample Now" button (only available on Amazon's PC site, not from the Kindle). Clicking this brings up the text:

Quote:
If you are outside a wireless coverage area, or are outside the U.S. and want to avoid international fees, select "Transfer via computer" before clicking "Send sample now". You can then download the sample to a computer and transfer to your USB connected Kindle.

If you are outside the U.S., you can receive book samples wirelessly for free, but receiving books wirelessly is subject to an international fee. There is no charge for Kindle books transferred to your Kindle via USB.
This seems to contradict itself: first it mentions avoiding international fees on samples, then it says "you can receive book samples wirelessly for free", then it talks about fees on books. So are "books" the same as "book samples"?

I emailed Amazon customer service and got the reply "Yes you will be charged $1.99 for downloading the sample books outside the U.S."

I have wirelessly downloaded 10 samples over the last two days and haven't been charged the fee yet. I guess I'll find out soon enough if $20 appears on my credit card!

I'll be a little disappointed if samples do come with the fee as it'll mean I wont be able to justify using Whispernet. I can make a good case for sampling a book for free and then paying $2 extra for the convenience of buying the full book wirelessly but I don't want to be paying a 40% tariff that can be avoided if I transfer things via USB.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote