View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The area near the LEDs on a Nook Glowlight looks much worse. I saw 8 bright points from the LEDs and on the unit I had it also had a grayish splotch above the text and to the right of the rightmost LED. It went back. It wasn't terrible, but just enough to be annoying. Without adjustable stroke width on the fonts they looked too skinny and contrast seemed reduced. No shelf support for Calibre either. Who wants to deal with manual shelf building and organization?

I drove 60 miles round trip today, paid full retail for a Kobo Glo and am a far happier camper as a result. I've had a Kobo Touch for several months, and all I can say is if anyone is on the fence regarding upgrading to a Glo, go for it. The lighting appears pretty uniform and the hotspots from the LEDs are minimal, nearly non-existent -not as uniform as backlighting on my tablets, but not nearly as hard on the eyes and quite comfortable with the stroke width cranked up on the right fonts. Any lack of background uniformity sort of reminds me of paper a bit.

BTW, the black bar at the bottom while the lighting is on works very well to cover any minor areas that don't look perfectly uniform, but I'm thinking I may leave it set to clear.

I'm off to add a few wider stroked fonts, and whistling while I work.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote