View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 AM   #104
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
...and have observed a lot of intersting (and sometimes bizarre) behavior in customers, friends, and relatives….
Yeah, me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
It seems to be human nature that people develop a personal relationship with their computer. And one of the most common things I've observed is people hanging on to a computer for too long, even when it doesn't meet their needs, and they'd be better off with something else. You don't dump a boyfriend/girlfriend or a pet, just on a whim - you've made some kind of committment to a relationship with them. Sometimes I think people extend that kind of feeling to their computers. I've had to learn not to do that myself...
I haven't learned not to keep computers or mobile devices too long myself yet. And I'll probably have a bigger problem, since I'm falling in love with Siri so the attachment will be even stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
I have used my Macbook (remember the retired white one?) for about 5 years. It has not given me as much grief as my PCs in the past, and even with its scars and spills and gross level, I can't bear to replace it until it actually dies forever. It is not as fast as it was, obviously, but it is still working and that's more than I can say about my previous PCs after 3 years (especially HP which lags like nobody's business; my previous company had a contract with HP and all our laptops were replaced and ugh, hated it).

It may only be 13" but I finished my degree on it and did a million things on it that the size no longer mattered. And the screen resolution still looks better than some of the new PCs, or maybe that's me being biased.
During the past 5 years, I used a 13" MacBook as my main computer for 3 years, followed by a 17" MacBook Pro. I agree about the screen resolution. About five years ago I got rid of a Power Computing Corporation PPC Mac clone desktop that I used for 7 years alone, then kept using alongside a new HP Pavilion desktop for another 5 years. The HP PC started having problems at about 2 years old. That old Mac clone PPC ran smoothly without problems for 12 years, with 1 upgrade each of a couple of internal hard drives to increase storage capacity supplemented with new external drives for backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
That said, the hard disk crashed twice in 2 years (before introduction of Time Machine), so make sure she has an extended warranty and schedules updates with the Time Machine properly! Again, USE TIME MACHINE!

My brother has a new MBP whose solid state hard disk crashed in 5 months, FYI. It was caused by bad memory sticks the reseller upgraded for free at point of sale, and an entire semester of art essays and art work lost because he did not know how to use Time Machine.
I agree, people that don't do automatic backups will regret it. Various backup software saved my butt a bunch of times. I currently use Time Machine to hourly backup internal drive, and SuperDuper to daily backup an external drive as well as occasionally to create an external startup drive.

Yes, she does automatic backups and has a good protection plan.

Last edited by unboggling; 06-28-2012 at 05:04 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote