View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #25
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Everything about Windows 8 is beautiful. The apps for it are W-O-W! I feel sad that they used that marketing for Vista, because this is the real WOW! It loads like a minute faster than OS X Lion on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro, that's how much of a beast the new OS is. A lot of the apps that come in the consumer preview's marketplace blow my mind. And dammit, those keyboards look awesome in those colors.

I'm definitely getting one, and thinking about the new KF which is speculated to be announced by the end of next month. Have no interest in other Android tablets, very happy with the Amazon App Store.
It's certainly a bold move on Microsoft's part and it is pretty, but I have my doubts about it. It looks like a tablet OS running on the desktop, I keep wanting to reach out and touch the screen as it is clearly meant for a touch screen, which desktops don't yet have. The transition from the Metro Interface to the "real" desktop is jarring to say the least and I just don't see the corporate world embracing the new OS. They care about productivity, not pretty.

The counter argument is that it may be pretty enough to wow people in-store. That said, if you are taken with the Metro UI, then you might as well get a tablet rather than a PC.

One way or the other Windows 8 will go down in history, I'm just not sure which way it will go. By layering the same UI on a PC, phone and tablet MS is betting heavily on the Metro UI and for that reason alone it will succeed to some degree. The idea is appealing, but watching how MS has botched the Windows Phone 8 transition, I have reservations about investing into an ecosystem where they don't seem to be overly concerned about cutting off their customers and partners and leading them up a technological dead end. I have fallen for that before. I have a great Windows Home Server, it has disk spanning which is a wonderful feature. Microsoft have released an update that drops that feature and there is ZERO upgrade path, if I want to upgrade I have to wipe all data and start over. That's the upgrade strategy I have come to expect from MS. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote