View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #75
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Few tests with video files.
Depending on what codecs were used for encoding, some MKV files can just be renamed to MP4 and they will play. (based on some MKV files I have kicking around)

I use Handbrake svn3703 for all my encoding. Setting video codec to MPeg-4. Encoding with it set to H264 codec (and saving it with a .MP4 extension) will not play on the Next1.

With the few quick conversions I did, 1500bps to 2000 seems to give the smoothest playback, with audio staying in sync. Although it will play just about everything I threw at it, video at times would play to slow, or audio would go out of sync with higher bit rates.

Useing the BluRay of Chronicles of Riddick, and converting it to 1280x528 (720p), constant quality 12 (default), 24fps, it did seem to play fine at times. Audio was out of sync to start with, but I just skipped ahead a few frames, and then it was fine. Played it again and there were no issues the second time. Third time, was way out of sync...
I scaled it down a bit to 800x336 (to keep aspect ratio), and it played quite well, although it did not seem to look as good... I think. Still watching and pondering over this one, maybe I'm going buggy tonight.

The few WMV files I have all played really slowly on the Next1. They were 1280x720, 3000 kbps, 25fps.

I cannot get subtitles to work at all, with anything for some reason.

I have 3GP videos (Motorola) somewhere, but haven't located them yet. I am sure they will play fine if the above high bitrate videos work as good as they do.

MPEG2 (renamed with VOB extension) worked fine. Don't have any "real" VOB files on the PC right now to test out.

Over all, it will be a decent portable video player when I need it, and meets my expectations just fine. (more so that it now does play videos!) Need to buy some portable speakers to plug into it to test sound quality that way as well.

Will take a bit more playing around with settings in Handbrake to get the optimal video quality out of the Next1, but not much as it really is not terribly picky overall.
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote