View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswd View Post
...I had heard that the only way to send an eBook to a Kindle was to have it emailed to your amazon account (yourname@amazon.com). So, I set-up a script on my site to do that. I presume it's working, because nobody's complained, but I can't be sure...
If you don't provide information for the user that informs them of the email address from which the ebook will be sent this will not work. They have to give your site permission to send the book.

There are three ways do load a book on a Kindle:
  1. Download to a PC (Mac/Win/Linux/...) and copy to the /Documents folder on the device via USB.
  2. Email to the user's Kindle account name@kindle.com and/or name@free.kindle.com.
  3. Download directly using the Kindle's web browser.

The first is the easiest to setup on a website. It's a simple download.

The second requires that the Kindle owner add the sending address (read: your site's sending address) to the list of allowed addresses in their Amazon/Kindle account via Manage Your Kindle. If this is not done in advance, the email will be blocked at Amazon's server and the user will not receive the book.

The third requires that the website's server's mimetypes be properly set. If so the Kindle will download directly to its proper Documents folder.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote