View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #42
whitedirewolf
E-ink Lover
whitedirewolf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For lossless, FLAC is the standard as MP3 is the standard for lossy.
I know, that's why I added "more or less" In any case, I believe that it's about time the eBook industry comes together and agrees on one specific format. It would've made a lot of things so much easier.

The reason I would like to see Amazon decide for the ePub format, is that so many other major eBook stores have. But Amazon has, especially with its Kindle, obtained a very solid position within the eBook market. Thus, it's now Amazon against the rest in terms of formats used. If you therefore choose Amazon's mobi format, you'll most likely be stuck with Amazon for a long time if you want to be able to read all your previously bought books. And while this might be just what Amazon wants, it's not what I, as a user, want.

Many other eBook stores now uses Adobe Digital Editions for handling the DRM. More and more eBook readers support this standard as well. As a result, more freedom and access to your books on more devices and applications. I'm therefore now buying all my books using other eBook stores. I'm not saying I'm correct and that my opinion is the best, it's just my thoughts on the situation. And history tells us that forcing users to one format/platform is not how you keep users staying with you. Take a look at the music industry, it's been through many of the same dilemmas.

Just like a music store selling MP3, an eBook store can set its own price and restrictions, but still offer a book in standard format.

Last edited by whitedirewolf; 07-25-2011 at 03:32 PM.
whitedirewolf is offline   Reply With Quote