View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsharkbytes View Post
Well, much to my regret I decided I'd try transferring a few ebooks to my sony Reader tonight using Calibre instead of the somewhat slow & clunky Sony Reader Library program.
Using two programs to manage your books/reader can sometimes be problematic.

Quote:
Much to my great dismay, when I started to use my reader afterwards, I discovered that Calibre had 'helpfully' created over 200 new collections!
Unless you turn off this feature calibre has always created collections from tags/series by default. You turn off having calibre create collections for you by going to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins - customize the sony plugin. With the plugin open, remove "tags, series" from the bottom box. Without anything specified by this plugin, no collections will be created.

Quote:
These collections had obviously been created from the metadata calibre had downloaded for many of the books in its library. They are for all intents & purposes useless and are very inconvenient.
If you didn't want or like the tags you shouldn't have downloaded them. For future reference, downloading those tags is optional. I chose not to download those tags because they cluttered up my collections. If you want to prevent future tag downloads you can go to Preferences - Plugins - Metadata download plugins and customize each plugin by unchecking download tags.

Quote:
Does anybody know how to go about deleting these unwanted collections from my sony Reader without using the Reader Library software? Calibre does NOT provide any collection editing as far as I can tell.
Use calibre. Connect your device, go to the reader view and delete the tags by double clicking on the collection field. If it doesn't work, go to Preferences - Add/save - Sending to device tab and check Preserve device collections.

Personally, managing my tags/series and having calibre automatically create collections when sending a book to my device is a great convenience. On the rare occasion my device may reboot and trash my collections, it takes only minutes to put it back like it was.

Quote:
PS. Did I mention it might be wise to limit yourself to only use one program to manage your books? That way you can learn one program well instead of moving back and forth between two programs and hoping that it all works out.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-01-2010 at 07:48 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote