View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #84
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajS View Post
To add some fuel to the fire.

EatingPie, I'd quite like the Sony PRS-950 cover with built in light. Any idea where I could get one? I didn't see one at SonyStyle.
Sorry, I don't see one, so I need to update my claims to two covers instead of just one.

Apparently these have been very hard to come by since the PRS-950 hit. I see posts celebrating finding one in January, and that's the only success story I can offer.

Quote:
That said, there are fewer and fewer places actually selling the Sony. Given that supply is < demand that really isn't a problem just yet - no point having suppliers with empty shelves. I'd imagine they'll get back on the shelves at some point soon - and in my view it will be some sort of breakthrough tech - ultrathin/ultralight or colour which will make the difference.
Fewer B&M stores are selling Sony. There were three national stores that I know of. One (Target) shifted to Kindle-only sales, and another (Borders) filed for bankruptcy.

The third, Best Buy, still sells them in-store, while Target sells them online... along with the five major outlets I listed previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
I'm a newbie here and don't want to step on any toes, but, I can't quite understand this post. Best Buy is discontinuing these readers, as are other large retailers (BH Photo in New York also), and, unless I'm missing something, the following, which is the Sony Style store for ereader accessories (specifically reader covers/cases), is missing ALOT of them (which leads me to believe that this is all that is left, after having gotten rid of what they had):

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...2&N=4294952782

So, I don't quite think the sighs are in order, as most of the points made in this thread about these readers being discontinued by some major US retailers is pretty accurate.
No worries about stepping on toes. I have thick skin and hard toes.

I believe the sighs were definitely in order, since I was frustrated! But it's important to understand the context. That was not my first or only post, so it cannot be taken alone. Everything listed there I had addressed with factual citations, yet they were twisted to mean exactly the opposite of what I had cited.

Okay, now to illustrate... You say that the claims of Sony Readers being discontinued by retailers are "accurate." How did you determine this? What evidence did people cite (beside me finding 5 major chains having them in stock)? Or is it because retailers have stated they are no longer carrying Sony Readers?

It's important to separate fact from speculation. So far, there has been no factual information supporting claims that retailers are ditching the Reader.

Even the thing about accessories: You realize in your link, every cover is available in one color or another once you click through? Once again, the facts do not correlate with the conclusion that the readers are being discontinued.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote