View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Well, providing that most own one device, if you ask what they recommend then will be that device, if nothing else need to justify their choice

Exchange rate and ordering outside EU looks good too, though have to be careful about chustoms (possibly to ask you for 20-50% the price of device for clearance). And yes, we are fed up from multinational companies that sell goods for the same number of USD and euros, example $500 and 500 euros, yes but that 500 euros are 775+ USD and even if you consider VAT it's still too much of a difference.

About DRM, I don't care much, be DVDs, mp3, e-books, we simply don't want locked content. Now if there are tools that remove that DRM we can re-think it...

Anyway, there are rumours that Hanlin will support mobipocket format shortly (along with PDF, TXT, RTF, WOLF, DOC, CHM, FB2, HTML, DJVU, MP3, TIFF, JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, RAR, ZIP... more coming).

Why I chose the Hanlin.

1) Most important it is the regular software updates. There are at least 3 official different braches for firmware development (jinke, lbook and bebook at least) and many unofficial ones and in addition the OpenInkpot project ( http://www.openinkpot.org/ ).
2) It uses a common replaceable Nokia battery (BL-4C/BL-5C). A failure won't render your device unusable or looking for some obscure battery.
3) Also I think there is the device with the longet battery life.
4) I am uses to file systems, folders, file browser and so on, I have everything sorted in folders. I want a device to support full folder structure. Hanlin V3 it does and very well; Cybook not at all.
5) Of course I want an open device. If I buy FIAT I won't want to limit my gas options to Shell only; similar to e-book devices, I won't like to limit my choises to Amazon or Sony.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote