View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jev View Post
Well thanks for the help so far.

And Wolf. Yes I didnt buy this as an ebook, but as paper. In accordance with danish copyright law, i am allowed to make 1 digital copy of an analog medium for my own personal use.
So far ive bought 3 hyperion books and 2 Fall of hyperion and read them to shreds. The last ive scanned at work with a pro copying machine that scans and emails it directly.

The simple truth is that I dont have room for all my books. Right now I have a little selection of my favourite books in the apartment, the rest is in storage. Last time i counted, i had around 25 meters(placed next to each other standing up) I was to lazy to actually count them.

Those you see here are stacked in 2 rows.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9444/img4008.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6863/img4009.jpg

But thank you for the concern wolf. Every writer should be paid for their work, especially a writer as brilliant as Dan. Im a photographer by profession, so I know how it is to be copied.

But i find it strange that you come down my throat when I see this.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40267

As I understand it, copyright is runs from when it created to the death+99 years.
That there is a link so that you can inform of any copyright violation, does not make it any more legal. If you do not have permission from either the author or the publisher you cant make it public, even though its been publicised before

Sincerely
Jev

PS: By looking at the pictures. Yes I know. I have to remove some webs in the corner

Jev,
You are under a misapprehension in several areas. This isn't surprising because copyright is very complicated.

1. Copyright terms vary in different countries. In the EU, it is the life of the author plus 70 years. In Canada - where our main server is hosted - it is life plus 50 years. In the USA anything pre-1923 is public domain. So is quite a lot of later stuff where the copyright has not been renewed.
See our wiki for more detail:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Copyright#Copyright

2. The book that your link leads to - The Next Logical Step, by Ben Bova (who was born in 1932) - is from Project Gutenberg USA: a very reputable and law-abiding source. We have hosted it off-site on a server in the USA. This is because it is a case where the US copyright was not renewed by the author. It is in the US public domain.
It is entirely legal for our American members to download the book. We do ask members to check the copyright status of any texts that they either download or upload.

3. If you come across a book which you think might be a copyright violation then please report it, so that we can investigate. Mistakes occasionally creep in, and we have removed several of them.

25 metres of books is a mere bagatelle! Come to my house and see many more. There are 15 metres in my study; at least another 15 on my partner's study. The sitting-room has about 30 metres of full shelves. And there are boxes in the attic and under the beds. And I gave away several thousand books last year, in an attempt to streamline.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote