View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #527
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
This post betrays an incredibly poor understanding of the subject under discussion, as well as basic math.

Contrary to what you have claimed, it is not a fact that there are more Android developers than iOS developers. There is no central database of statistics about Android developer accounts, and to my knowledge even Apple doesn't release the total number of developer accounts, so there is no way of knowing this. However, we do know that developer interest in Android has declined for the fourth quarter in a row. The reasons for this are related to fragmentation, piracy, and inferior development tools, but especially money.
And your post betrays an astonishingly poor ability to comprehend what people say. I never said there are "Android developers" and "iOS developers" per se, lol. A great deal of developers do cross-platform work and/or are trained to do both. What I have always said is that developers are opting to develop for the Android platform in far greater numbers than they are for the iOS platform. Meaning they are investing their time more often to Android development. This is a fact. These apps do not get created spontaneously out of thin air by themselves. Someone has to create them. Anyone using common sense would understand this. And it's a fact that Google apps have been growing far far faster than iOS apps.

Murray postulated that it was merely porting of old iOS apps. But that's highly unlikely as most porting of old iOS apps would already have been done by now. And if it were just porting, Google apps wouldn't be more numerous than iOS apps as they are now. An example of an app where developers decided to invest their time just with Android and NOT with iOS is Calibre Companion. There is no iOS version.

Quote:
You are arguing that developers would deliberately choose to leave money on the table for years, if given the choice.
Tsk-tsk-tsk. Read, read, again!

No, I am arguing that developers are betting that the longer term (1-2 years) profit potential of apps is greater with Android than iOS due to the fact that the platform itself is growing faster than Apple. They are saying if they go with Apple, they may be leaving money on the table.

Quote:
A developer is given the choice between making an iOS or an Android app today. She can expect, on average, to make 400% more money from a paid iOS app and 347% more money from an ad-supported iOS app. This is a no-brainer. Every single day, until (and only if) Android reaches revenue parity, she would be making more money on iOS. There is no rational economic incentive to develop for Android first. None.
Post a link to support those numbers. And make sure the data is relatively current and that you understand it yourself, lol. No hokey data like you always like to post, please.

Quote:
Your description makes it sound like app developing is a leisurely life, where you just sit back and watch the profits roll in, like watching stocks go up.
Actually, for the developers of a successful app, it can be. But it's not necessarily leisurely if the developer decides to work on an entirely NEW app while the previous ones are pulling in the dough. It's their choice.

Quote:
People can afford to make 2+ year "investments" to wait for income. That's not it at all. 60% of apps on iOS—the most profitable platform—don't break even. 80% of developers can't make a living from their apps alone. And you expect these people to shift to a platform that is 400% less profitable?
Can you please read? PLEASE??? It's such a waste of time when you continually mischaracterize what I write. I didn't say they have to wait for 2 years for any income. Geesh, try a little harder. But I'll repeat what I wrote in my previous post -- it's industry standard that developers are paid in increments over time as their app sells. It's essentially the same whether you develop for Android or Apple. You don't get all your money up front. Only in installments as the app sells.

Quote:
Do you have any idea how nonsensical your position is? How utterly laughable?
Do you have any idea how often you are missing with your reading comprehension? How tremendously ignorant that looks?

Quote:
LOL I'm glad all this is being saved for posterity.
So am I. Because what you write can't stand up to time.

Quote:
"Opera says that on its network, apps account for over 80% of all traffic, and 72.7% of all mobile advertising revenue worldwide."

Explain to us Pat, how apps can account for 80% of Opera's ad traffic when, according to you, these ads are only being shown in the Opera browser.
LOL, I never said these ads can "only" be shown in the Opera browser. Show me where I used the word "only." You are amazing. Maybe you have dyslexia? Or are you just so upset at being proven wrong that you have to put words in other people's mouths to pretend you are correct?

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 01-06-2013 at 03:59 AM.