View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm delighted to see that "Blink" won a Hugo; it's one of my all-time favourite episodes of "Dr Who". Even better, its author, Steven Moffet, is taking over as Executive Producer of the show from next year.
I'm delighted to see Dave Hartwell get Best Professional Editor, Long Form. I've known David and respected his work for many years, and it's good to see him get the recognition. (David is currently a Senior Editor at Tor Books, and Tor is the only house I can think of that notes who the editor of a particular book was on the Copyright page. It took some genteel arm-twisting before Editor-in-Chief Beth Meachum agreed to be listed - she felt it was the author's book. I felt that vastly underestimated her own contributions to the process. A good editor can help make a good book into a great one, and Beth is a very good editor indeed.)

The whole Short Form/Long Form breakout is recent. Best Professional Editor used to rotate among the editors of the top magazines -- Analog, Asimov's, F&SF -- until fans began to realize the folks who bought and edited novels deserved recognition.

I'm also amused to see John Scalzi get an award as Best Fan Writer.

Incidentally, the Campbell Award isn't a Hugo. It's a separate award -- The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, sponsored by Dell Publications -- but it is presented at the Hugo Ceremonies.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote