View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Don't know about Issybird, but in my case I fear it being on the "soppy" side and more focused on the analysis of the guys' inner feelings and personal struggle rather than on the wider historical context. I might sit on the fence this time...
It's definitely not soppy. While it does tell his story, it also tells about others around him. It's not sappy or one sided. You do get a real feel for how things were for him and others. Just ask others who have read it.

You do learn a lot of what happened to POWs of the Japanese. It's not at all like you think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
First I'll refer you to paola's excellent answer. I'll add that while I have no serious objection to Unbroken as a title for a general interest book club, I don't think it's a good choice for an explicitly literary book club. Admittedly without reading it, it seems to me as if it's feel good pap of the triumph of the human spirit type. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't get the sense that it sufficiently transcends its type in writing style or insight to qualify as literature.

I'm also going to pass. I hate to, since I have great expectations for this club, but my reading time is pretty squeezed at the moment.
I am going to have to disagree with you. The writing is of high quality. It is literature. I did not nominate it to be silly or play games. I nominated it when the original nomination was pulled because it is worth reading. The way it's written tells the story in a way that makes you want to find out more. It's not feel good pap at all. What it is is a piece of history that is very well told.

Unbroken has an average of 4.53 stars out of 5 from a total of 17,789 people. There are 6,422 reviews. Please, go read some of the reviews.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...#other_reviews

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-01-2011 at 05:19 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote