Old 08-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
alophind
Connoisseur
alophind began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not really, no.

For one thing, one of the leading publishers of SF and Fantasy, Baen, produce books in open formats which can be read on any device.

For DRM-protected eBooks you have two main choices if you want a wide selection of books: MobiPocket and Microsoft Reader (LIT). MobiPocket books can be read on a wide range of different devices, from "smartphones" to PDAs to PCs to the iRex iLiad to the forthcoming Bookeen CyBook. LIT books can only be read on Microsoft Reader, but depending on where you live it may be legal for you to "crack" the DRM with a free program that you can download, and hence convert the file to any other format that you wish (eg for the Sony Reader).

So basically my advice would be to choose the device first and foremost. You'll always been able to get content for it.
Thank you.
Just to be sure , Is the PRS500 the best device to buy today for its price tag?
I find it little difficult to purchase it for around 270$ when couple of days ago there was good promotion (the 100$ books gift). If ill wait a month or two , are there any new readers that suppose to be released ? something worth waiting ?

I have treo 650 and find it difficult to read from :-D
alophind is offline   Reply With Quote