Thread: Silliness Bad Customers
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I work at a gas station, so I have many tales of horror!

Many of these tales involve bodily fluids and/or the restrooms. There was the guy who came in after getting in a knife fight and bled all over the men's room. Several incidents of people defecating on the floor, or smearing feces on the wall, and even one time someone stood on the toilet seat and defecated against the wall. Then there was the drunk guy who decided he didn't want to wait in line for the restroom, so he urinated all over a 12-foot display of candy, ruining several thousand dollars worth of merchandise.

Some of our "customers" are there to steal the merchandise rather than pay for it. We have one serial offender (he cycles through dozens of convenience stores in the metro area) who will steal batteries and then try to "return" them for the cash. He gets children (I don't know if they are his, or nieces/nephews, or possibly grandchildren) to help him, which is sickening. People open packages, eat part of the contents, and then leave the open package sitting out. If they're feeling really creative, they'll dump the contents out. There was one person who opened a package of gummi worms, licked the candies, and stuck them to the shelves. My ultimate favorite shoplifter story is about a guy who stole from the hardware store across the street, and then came into my store while fleeing police, locked himself in the men's room, and tried to flush the evidence down the toilet. Just in case you didn't know, gloves do not go through plumbing very well. We had to call a plumber to sewer-snake the offending garment out to give to the police for evidence. I don't think the cops were too happy about collecting that particular piece of evidence.

Customers love dishing out verbal abuse for the most petty of perceived slights, such as being out of stock of something, or having to show ID for age-restricted products, or being told that they can't smoke while filling their gas tanks. Some especially asinine people resort to racial epithets. Occasionally they become violent. One customer attacked my former boss, breaking my boss's glasses and bruising him pretty badly, because the customer didn't like one of the ingredients in his sandwich. Folks, if you have allergies, dietary restrictions, or just plain think something is icky, ask for help before you buy something instead of complaining after the fact. I also wish that the Powers That Be at corporate HQ would listen to me when I explain that we have a large number of vegetarian, Jewish, and Muslim customers who can't eat most of our products and I'm tired of having to disappoint them.

There's the creeps who hit on me and my co-workers and make explicit sexual comments. The employees are not on the menu, OK?!

So who wants to come to work with me tomorrow?
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote