View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #75
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrys View Post
It's surprisingly relevant.

Although the 50MB limit is stated at Amazon ONLY on the page for those living outside the U.S., a blogger friend tells me that a knowledgeable Amazon person told him that this 50MB limit is supposed to kick in only when you leave your country when traveling for work or vacation, etc. It shouldn't come into play when you're in your home country.

<snip>

If you're comfortable with letting us know either way, it'll help pin down when the new limit rule comes into play.
Hello Andrys,

No, I don't mind sharing a bit of information. I bought my Kindle Keyboard 3G in January 2011, ordering from my home here in Canada, and it was shipped to me from the United States. The only time I've taken my Kindle abroad was in May 2011, on a short trip to the UK. (During that time I did indeed use it for a spot of 3G connectivity whenever I couldn't get local access to wireless.) Since then it's stayed with me here in Canada. I have never been resident in the U.S. since owning the Kindle, nor have I pretended to be.

That said... I live very close to the American border. How close? Often, if I walk one block south of my home, my mobile phone chirps with an automated Telus text message welcoming me to the U.S.A. and reminding me of my roaming plan! (This is very common in my area of town, where our mobile devices get picked up by American 3G towers all the time.) I don't know if that's salient, probably not, but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention.

Here's something interesting I discovered this afternoon! I was out on the balcony reading a previously-downloaded book sample on my Kindle. I hadn't bothered turning on our home network so, no wireless. I decided the sample was good enough to warrant buying the book at $10, and since Amazon IS supposed to provide continuous 3G connectivity to the Amazon Kindle store (and Wikipedia), even after the monthly 50MB limit has run out, I didn't bother running in and turning on our wireless -- I just pressed Buy and waited for the 3G connection to click in so that I could complete the transaction.

Whereupon I got a message saying I couldn't connect, and would I like to join a Wi-Fi network so that I could do so?

I tried 3 or 4 times to get through to the Amazon Kindle store -- turning the 'wireless' on and off each time in the hope it would connect via 3G -- and never managed to get through.

So, erm, yeah. I'm wondering how many impulse buys Amazon may have lost because they've accidentally locked the 3G down too much?
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote