View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #72
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
One of the first steps after clearing up the excess spans and font settings in an html file is to check for paragraph markings.

A book that has <br> or <br/> as a means of separating paragraphs of text is not going to allow you to use calibre to indent the first line of paragraphs.

I will use a regex search setting the editpad to be sensitive to case to search for line breaks that are followed by a lower case letter. This will usually indicate that the break was put in to make it look right in a word processor.
eg search string would be
<br>
([a-z])

replacement string would be
\1
I'm confused.

I'm not much good with html and usually don't fix books by messing with html tags, but I would've thought I'd want most of those <br> tags replaced with </p><p>

I thought <br> didn't have a closing tag? Or is <br/> an alternate form of <br> ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
...Usually for the worst offenders, pdf files, I start off with either a save from either my rather outdated acrobat 7 or use the old mobipocket creator....
I save time by not converting or fixing PDFs at all. Nonfiction PDF: if unavailable in a better format, I keep the nonfiction PDF without any conversion or format-fixing, and easily read it in PDF format on any device. Fiction PDF: if unavailable in better format, never acquire fiction PDF equals never convert/fix fiction PDF -- I'd rather not have it than mess with it at all.

Last edited by unboggling; 01-18-2014 at 11:18 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote