View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 AM   #94
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Roy,

Your profile says you live in the U.S., so I'm not sure your argument about the illegality of downloading unauthorized ebooks holds, particularly when one has paid for the paper version. As far as I know, this hasn't been tested in court, but the Betamax decision seems more relevant to me than the Grokster decision (not that I'm a lawyer or judge). "Fair Use" is pretty vaguely defined in the U.S. (in contrast to the U.K., for example), but it's quite plausible to apply it here to people who have purchased the paper version but want the ebook version for convenience. Also, I have heard that it is the uploading of unauthorized content, rather than the downloading, which has been criminalized, along with the creation and distribution of tools intended to allow decryption and distribution of unauthorized copies.

I am not promoting any illegal activity. I'm just trying to say that you may have overstated your case here.