View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, the first two lines in the example above are actually the same verse, and are only printed as two lines because of limited space. With a different text width you could have:

Code:
First verse is a long line that could be
            [broken due to limited space
      Second verse shorter, indented.
Code:
First verse is a long line that could be broken due to
                                        [limited space
      Second verse shorter, indented.
Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible with current ebook formats. Even with the full HTML5+CSS you probably need some javascript. (Maybe with ePub 3 and some reader that supports javascript...).

The old mobi format used to have the possibility of right-aligned broken lines (mobipocket.com, see bottom of the page), but without the bracket, and I didn't see it working in the PC reader or in my Cybook Gen3.

For ePub, I made a suggestion 4 years ago, but it doesn't seem anything has happened to it since then...
So:

the bracket itself is the indicator that the line is broken due to lack of space; it's not something "else," e.g., an indicator of emphasis, or something like that.

Yes, I agree with you, Jellby; I don't think it can be done at this time, with the currently-available technolgy (unless, as I said, the book is done in fixed-format, so that it does not reflow). I can't think of any way to effectively create an "if-then" scenario so that the first reflowed letter is preceded by the bracket, I really cannot. Doesn't mean it can't be done; but as you can't wrap the "to-be-reflowed" portion (as we don't know what it is) with anything that would allow any of the trickier things (inheritances, child-ofs, pseudo-elements, etc.) to work...I just don't see it.

Many someone else will come along with better tricks, but if Jellby doesn't know--I don't think anyone does.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote