View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #49
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
We all know that hacking has become a problem and that it is not rare for peoples consumer accounts to be hacked. OK, so it is a rare event but it happens frequently enough that we are aware of it. Amazon locks any hacked account. They will give you a gift card so you can rebuy all of your electronic media but they cannot transfer the license from one account to another.

Don't ask me why, they can't. I don't pretend to understand.

GM does not give you a new car when your car is stolen. You get a check from your insurance and you hope it is enough to cover your car and the possessions in it. It is a hassle but that is what happens. You have insurance just in case your car is stolen. As a consumer you should back up your electronic media just in case your account is hacked.

If you violate a companies terms of service you risk losing access to that account and anything in it. That is not Amazon or anyone else's fault, you violated the terms of service. So don't be offended if you get caught and you lose access to your electonic media.

You might be pissed if GM comes and repossesses your car because you violated the terms of service by not making the monthly payments but it is within their rights to do just that. So be upset with Amazon for blocking you from accessing materials that they are storing for you if your account is banned because you violated the terms of service.

Or be smart and back your stuff up so that you are prepared in the rare event that you are the target of a rare event.
First, bans are not just for violation of TOS. They also happen for other reasons (it is not a violation of TOS to return an item, for example) and the net seems to be wide. Regardless, if someone is abusing the system, they deserve a ban, I won't argue. Nor do I have evidence that innocent people are being banned - although there is some indication that happens.

But, to stay in your analogy. I buy 10 cars from GM. I fully pay for them. Five years later I buy another car. And I fail to make the payments on it. Now, GM comes along to repossess ALL my 11 cars. That is what Amazon does. And it would certainly not fly with 'material' goods.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote