View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #48
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. That seems a little harsh; there's absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with "writing solely to make money". And if you're writing to the expectations of your readers, that's actually pretty sensible.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Life doesn't have a judge and jury, and while there are a few moral absolutes in the world, I'm pretty sure none of them cover writing quality. I'm simply saying that *I* am not interested in reading what someone is churning out for money. My experience has been that, unless people have a story they really want to tell, or a character they want to write about, they fall back on formula. I, personally, have no interest in formula. It's a red flag for me.

And by the by, maybe it's just me, but I *want* an author who's willing to show some imagination and confound/challenge the expectations of their readers. I understand there are readers who like genre and conventions and a pleasant ride from point A to point Z, but *I* am not one of them. Nothing irritates me quite as much as an ending you can see 200 pages off...and then the writer *writes* it.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote