View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #73
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I can see why ebooks are an uncomfortable fit. Anyone who is logging on to a library site to download an ebook, has an ereader, a computer, and an internet connection. So why is it part of the library's mission to provide free ebooks to a fairly privileged class of people? Why is public tax money spent on this?

Now, I have to say that I have a Kobo and that I've checked out a number of library books, and I love being able to do that. But I can't honestly say that I feel entitled to this service as some kind of "right." In fact, it feels to me like a temporary pleasure, like a bubble, that is too fragile to last.
Maybe some are and maybe some aren't. I'm sure there are poor people who have computers, smartphones or e-Readers that can read e-Books. People get tax refunds or other sources of incomes that do allow them to make occasional electronic purchases.

Even if only privileged people read e-Books, they're still tax payers who support libraries. Libraries are meant to serve all patrons regardless of their incomes.

I think these types of arguments lead to a slippery slope that do hurt poor people. If libraries stop buying e-Books because the people who read them can afford to buy e-Books anyway and thus, shouldn't expect the library to buy them, what's to stop people from eventually thinking "well, people have e-Readers and can buy e-Books so why do we need libraries at all?"
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote