View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #71
Tegan
Connoisseur
Tegan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1st Gen, Kindle 3 SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch2 View Post
Online books account for about 8% of my library systems total checkouts. It's like having a small, unstaffed branch library. We pay OverDrive a huge fee every year for the webpage, technology, etc., and then pay a "normal" library rate for audiobooks (Random House/Recorded Books/BBC Audiobooks cost about $95 apiece. This is because with physical copies, we can order replacement discs for those that get lost or messed up. So, these audiobooks have a "lifetime" warranty (sp?)). Prices on eBooks vary from around $25 for a new eBook to $7 or $8 for an older eBook. Romance novels cost $2.50 to $5.00 and circulate like crazy!
I was under the (apparently false) impression that the library got charged some tiny fee every time an ebook was checked out. I thought that was why my local system hasn't invested in the system yet, but maybe it's because the OverDrive cost is too expensive (and the library system is too small)?

When I lived in the Seattle area, I could get just about anything from the King County Library System, and their ebook selection was nice even back then. I wonder how this OverDrive thing is affecting them?
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote