View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
Nikkie and others:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Wow, it never occurred to me that books would use colored fonts. And how obviously true!

I think the Ipad may spell a revolution in magazine publishing rather than book publishing. (i.e., group publishing, attractive covers with navigation bars, etc). 800x600 works for essays and novels, but 1024x768 opens up possibilities for lots of things.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is multitouch? Who makes the action triggers for them? (does the content creator do this?) For hyperlinks in ibooks, will the user merely need to touch on the relevant words? Or is it less direct?

(Maybe if you have used safari/stanza on the iphone/itouch, that may provide guidance).

The ipad seems promising for graphic-based novels --although it's clear that will require a special application. It sounds like we are facing a torrent of proprietary readers; maybe someday we will long for the monotony of the PDF reader.

My guess is that users will grow tired of switching between readers and opt for the one which supports the biggest variety. I'd like to think that epub will be the format of the future, but I doubt that NYT or Newsweek (for example) would like that.

Last edited by hapax legomenon; 02-05-2010 at 06:11 PM.
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote