View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_Smith View Post
Something similar happened to me. Transferred books to Aura via Calibre, everything looked OK, little green ticks in the 'books on device' column and all that.

Disconnected, waited for it to process them, or shelve them, or whatever it does. Everything looked good.

Then when the Aura returned to the usual home screen, guess what... no books! I looked in the library just to make sure, and the only books in it were the icons for the non-downloaded ones I've bought from Kobo over the years.

So I plugged the Aura back in, connected it, and went back to Calibre, which - again - told me that the books were on the Aura.
Just to explain what is happening from the calibre side of things.

When calibre sends the books to the device, it records that fact and adds the book to the current "on device" list. It also updates a file on the device with details of the book. When you disconnect, calibre completely forgets this information.

On the next connect, calibre and the Kobo driver reads the database on the device for what books the device knows about. It also reads the file calibre put there for books it knows about. This is used to match between the library and the books on the device. Books that are listed in the file and but are not in the database, will be shown as on the device. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to show the difference.
Quote:
So I disconnected it again.

And... guess what? The books had appeared right where they were supposed to be.

This has happened a couple of times; it's really quite weird.

The point to this, I suppose, is that I'm just saying that if your books are supposed to be on the Aura and don't seem to be, then don't panic immediately. Reconnect and disconnect again and see what happens rather than doing anything complicated and difficult first off.

If that doesn't work, then it's OK to panic.
I have seen that on a few occasion. Not very often, but enough for me to plug the device back in and check if I did send the book over. Disconnected again and the books were processed. No obvious reason for either occurrence.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote