View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
How are you defining Inspiration?
Good question.

And sorry, I have to turn it around somewhat.

Inspiration is how "you" define it.

When someone says, "I found inspiration." or "I can't find inspiration" they are defining it for themselves in a way I may not understand.

If he says "you are my muse" and she says "you are my inspiration," each mean something that is interpreted by the speaker and the hearer . Correctly or not. I think that it is possible that the statements mean that they make each other happy and that makes it easier for them to work. I think it might be possible that they may be sounding boards for each other.
I think it might be nice, but certainly isn't necessary.

There is a great singer in Nashville, who called his previous wife his muse. Then they got a bitter, really really big bucks divorce and in the court papers she became a distraction, a detriment and a hindrance. Still she got the big bucks, but he is happy now with his new wife who probably is a better muse too. So it appears that you can find and marry muses just like pretty faces and sweet dispositions. Personally I like the second wife better myself, but she isn't my muse.

Sometimes we use phrases that seem to have meaning but without feeling the meaning. It becomes a recitation, a litany like a greeting or honorific. "Good day." "Good to see you." "Hail honored Sir." "Great Lord and Master of the Oceans and the 19 Seas, the 33 Canals, and the Swamps of the Vast Hinterland."

So the word itself, the meaning "inspiration" becomes a thing in itself. An excuse. A curse. A boon. A will of the wisp. What you would have it.

And after all that, it is time to make another statement.

"Inspiration" is the biggest excuse an author has.

I hear an author say I am waiting for inspiration or I lost inspiration, and I grimace inwardly.

It is the equivalent of "the dog ate my homework." "It is not my fault."

Last edited by frahse; 10-28-2011 at 02:59 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote