View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
Actually Nook supports file manager, so any software shelves, collections or anything of that sort is not necessary, because you can just put your library organized by folder on the device and not bother. Also you can read a good story on you Nook while waiting for Kobo to index your content. As far as B&N paranoia- I never felt the need to use Calibre with Nook, simply because it had the file manager. And opportunity to install almost any android application on a Nook makes it a Reader that you can read your Kindle, Kobo, Sony books on... So pile as much as you like on B&N, but Kobo got a lot to catch up to even come close to Nook abilities.
Oddly, the reason that I got the Nook to play with was that the owner was unable to run the majority of the Android apps he wanted to run even after rooting his Nook. My personal experience was that he was correct. As an Android tablet, it was hopelessly underpowered and lacked the hardware to run most of the apps. The sheer joy of getting it to boot from an external uSD card did not make up for its basic uselessness. A $70 knockoff tablet worked better. As an ereader, it offered little that a Kobo Touch did not also offer and you could actually use the Kobo store from the wilds of Canada. As for reading Kobo books on it? Only if you downloaded the epub versions. Want to run the Kindle app? Root the sucker and jump through the hoops. Sony books? Are you referring to Sony's proprietary ebook format (BBeB) or their later epub format books? If epub, almost any device other than a Kindle reads them natively.

I did enough comparisons to know that the search function on a Touch can find a file faster than using the file manager on a Nook.

Nook: press Quick Navigation button, tap on Library icon, open the drop down menu, select My File and then select Memory Card. Now dig down through the directory tree to locate the book you want to read. SFF => Weber, David => Empire of Man => March Upcountry. Tap on book. Total 9 taps not counting the scrolling down the tree.

Touch: Select Search icon. Select Library. Enter search criteria -- results are displayed as I type. Generally, no more that 3-4 characters to have the book I wanted on the screen. In this search, MAR had March Upcountry as the third file in the list of files displayed. Tap on book. Total 6 taps and no scrolling required.

A file manager might be handy at times but a decent search function beats the crap out a file manager for locating a file. In this case, entering the search criteria took fewer taps than browsing the directory tree. If I had been going for one of the books in Eric Flint's Assiti Shards series, it would have been more imbalanced in favour of the search function since that directory tree has Flint, Eric => Assiti Shards with 163x, Rivers Of War, Grantville Gazette, Time Spike and Ring of Fire directories under the Assiti Shards directory.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 05-26-2013 at 12:35 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote