View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding here.
I do not deny that cloud syncing would be nice, but if we totally forget about that functionality, what I meant was that on your own pc/mac you should be able to manage your own device library without restrictions, both of them being your devices and you are managing your own content, there should not be any legal issues with that. Itunes lets you do that, Sony Reader lets you do that, desktop Kobo app does not, which makes it useless for anyone who has anything not from Kobo on their devices, and we know it cant yet even deal with shelves.
So leaving uploading your book library to Kobo servers out, why cant I manage my library with Kobo app, if I invested into Kobo device?
I don't even use the Kobo Desktop to manage books I purchase from Kobo. Which may make me part of a small minority.

From what I have seen, the Kobo Desktop App is tied to the Kobo bookstore and is intended to facilitate and manage purchases from that bookstore. To do this, information about your reading habits is stored externally, your books can be redownloaded if they are wiped from your ereader and, yes, it will force updates onto your ereader. There are many who would agree that it does not do an outstanding job of those tasks.

Could Kobo have added more functions to their Desktop App? Very likely. Would I have been happy with the end result? Very unlikely. I don't have much fondness for it as it now stands never mind the issues with turning it into a clone of Calibre.

Nothing is stopping you from using another application -- Hi, Calibre! -- to manage your books nor did Kobo follow the lead of Barnes & Noble by restricting the amount of your storage you could use for sideloaded books.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote