View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #98
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
also now that exist a recovery via serial, any luck on playing towards a uncripling the recovery on this device, like a rom manager or something? I really do not feel confident in opening my device, also the bad device, bad sku, do you think will be resolved via serial boot?
vicinc, I think all we have available now is running a new flash with any package that uses update.zip. That's not really like a full rom switcher. I think that is still a ways away and will require careful reading of update.zip and probably looking through the sources to figure out all that is required for copying stuff and what goes where. I'm still not sure why there are quite so MANY partitions on this device. I don't know anything about other android devices, but I would guess that having quite this many partitions is not normal.

Opening the case is actually really easy, and you only have to do one side (the e-Ink side). You don't have to remove the motherboard. Just remove the footers over the screw holes (or peel them back) and unscrew the case. Then use your fingernail slowly around the edge to pop the cover off, and you're done. Making the cable is the only part of this process that is at all difficult, and you could simplify that more by using alligator clips if you don't want to solder things together.

Is this the only description of your device? Does your device show the inverted logo on your screen? If so, then this will definitely fix it. Otherwise, using the serial cable will at least let you (and us) know what is actually going wrong with your flashing process, or whatever else is wrong with your device. I highly recommend you do it.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote